Tools for Life – becoming a homeowner is a large endeavor for everyone involved. It takes a lot of hard work and determination, but we continually meet people like you who are up for the challenge. Our Tools for Life homeowner education classes will set you up for success.
Tools for Life: Homeowner Education
As a part of Habitat for Humanity’s sweat equity component, each partner family completes several required homeowner education classes in our Tools for Life program. These classes are designed to prepare families for financial responsibilities of becoming homeowners, how to best maintain their homes and acclimate into their new neighborhoods. Habitat’s overall goal is to empower families to become knowledgeable and successful homeowners.
Tools for Life: Class Topics
During these financial education classes, we’ll cover topics such as budgeting, credit cards and credit reports, debt and loans, saving, investing and planning for the future, emergency situations, as well as Habitat homeowner mortgages. Gaining a more in-depth understanding of these important concepts will become part of a tool belt you can use to build a better future.
- June 26, 2017: 6:00 p.m. at Environmental Resource Center,(290 East Central Street, Springfield, MO 65802).
- Environmental Resources: Learn how you can reduce, reuse, and recycle from home in order to decrease unnecessary waste. Laurie Duncan from The City of Springfield’s Department of Environmental Services will be with us covering the multiple recycling programs in Springfield, including what is recyclable and what is not. Interested to know what your recyclables are converted in to? Want to know how mulching can benefit your yard and garden? Join us to find out!
- July 10, 2017: 6:30 p.m. at Habitat for Humanity Offices (2410 S. Scenic, Springfield, MO 65807).
- Borrowing Basics of Installment Loans:Join Cari Oughton, from Bancorp South, to learn about installment loans, the best ways to use them and how they affect your future.
- July 17, 2017: 6:00 p.m. at Woodland Heights Presbyterian Church,(722 West Atlantic Street, Springfield, MO 65803).
- Job Search and Interview Skills: Join Emily Johns, with Springfield Job Center, to learn how to start your job search and to prepare for the big interview.
- July 24, 2017: 6:00 p.m. at Pathways United Methodist Church,(1232 East Dale Street, Springfield, MO 65803).
- Maintaining Your Home for Resale and Equity: You did it! You purchased a home and can forever say goodbye to wasting your hard earned money on rent. But this wonderful investment for your future also comes with more responsibility. Join us at Habitat for a free class with Angie Mullings from Century 21 Integrity Group to learn how you can build equity through homeownership. She’ll explain the do’s and don’ts of maintaining your home for resale. Thinking of painting the house purple with pink polka dots? Think again!
- July 31, 2017: 6:00 p.m. at Habitat for Humanity Offices (2410 S. Scenic, Springfield, MO 65807).
- Reading Your Credit Report: How can you maintain or improve your credit score? How does your credit report affect your finances? Come and find out with Liz Trader from Regions Bank.
Tools for Life classes are free and open to the public. Registration is required to attend. Adults only please, no childcare will be provided. To register for a Tools for Life class, please contact Morgan Ash, partner services associate, at 417-829-4001 x 114.
Teach a Tools for Life Class:
All parts of Tools for Life depend on the generosity of volunteers and partnerships with other organizations dedicated to our community. If you’re interested in volunteering as a teacher, please contact Morgan Ash, partner services associate, at 417-829-4001 x 114.