Running In Woodland Heights:
It might be the 9th annual Habitat Home Run, but it’s the first time this 5k, 10k, and 1 mile fun run is in Woodland Heights. In fact, it’s the first time a charity race is held north of Commercial Street in Springfield!
You might be thinking, ‘why did Habitat for Humanity move the race’? Well, the answer is simple! Woodland Heights is the home of Habitat’s newest program, Neighborhood Revitalization (NR). NR is an approach to serve more families by responding to community goals with a variety of products, services and partnerships that enable residents to revive their neighborhoods and enhance their quality of life.
What You Will See Along The Race Route:
With the change of course, runners will now see the direct impact of our community’s volunteers and donors as race participants run by homes that have already been revitalized. Current Neighborhood Revitalization efforts include:
- Homes that have been painted during two Rock the Block neighborhood cleanup events.
- Freshly landscaped yards through partnership with Habitat’s “A Brush with Kindness” program
- A community garden created in partnership with Reed Academy, Springfield Community Gardens, and Woodland Heights Neighborhood
- Charlie Norr Community Center located next to Lafayette Park
The Habitat Home Run Supports Neighborhood Revitalization:
The primary goal of Habitat’s Neighborhood Revitalization is to great a greater impact for the residents of Woodland Heights. The 300+ runners that will join us will have a chance to see our current revitalization programs in progress and will be introduced to the community. In addition to bringing awareness to the neighborhood, all proceeds from the event will be designated for future NR projects.
So the next time your running, take your route through Woodland Heights and see where Habitat for Humanity and our many community partners are working to help motivated resident leaders revitalize a neighborhood.
Race & Registration Information:
- Event: Habitat Home Run – 10k, 5k, 1 mile fun run
- Date: Saturday, August 26, 2017
- Time: Run begins at 7:00 a.m., after party events will begin at 8:00 a.m.
- Location: Lafayette Park (202 E. Atlantic) in Woodland Heights Neighborhood
- Registration: online at here or at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore – 2410 S. Scenic