Tools for Life – becoming a homeowner is a large endeavor for everyone involved. It takes a lot of hard work and determination, but we continually meet people like you who are up for the challenge. Our Tools for Life homeowner education classes will set you up for success.
Tools for Life: Homeowner Education
As a part of Habitat for Humanity’s sweat equity component, each partner family completes several required homeowner education classes in our Tools for Life program. These classes are designed to prepare families for financial responsibilities of becoming homeowners, how to best maintain their homes and acclimate into their new neighborhoods. Habitat’s overall goal is to empower families to become knowledgeable and successful homeowners.
Tools for Life: Class Topics
During these financial education classes, we’ll cover topics such as budgeting, credit cards and credit reports, debt and loans, saving, investing and planning for the future, emergency situations, as well as Habitat homeowner mortgages. Gaining a more in-depth understanding of these important concepts will become part of a tool belt you can use to build a better future.
- June 4, 2018: 6:00 p.m. at Habitat for Humanity Offices (2410 S. Scenic, Springfield, MO 65807).
- Budgeting: Completing a realistic budget is the first step to achieving any financial goal, but finding the time and motivation to create and follow one can be tough. Join Habitat for a FREE hands-on class to get you started! Dan Malachowski, owner of Baron Financial Group, LLC, will be available to help you categorize your expenses to meet your priorities and to help you form a workable plan.
- June 11, 2018: 6:30 p.m. at Habitat for Humanity Offices (2410 S. Scenic, Springfield, MO 65807).
- Crime Prevention and Safety Tips: Join Officer Laura Kitta, with the Springfield Police Department, for tips on how to prevent crime from happening in your neighborhood. Learn how to be a safer citizen and how to not be an easy target for criminals.
- June 18,2018: 6:00 p.m. at Habitat for Humanity Offices (2410 S. Scenic, Springfield, MO 65807).
- Cost Effective Decorating: Heather Landholt from Decorating Den Interiors, will share how to beautify and modernize your home with the latest trends, without breaking your bank account.
- June 25, 2018: 6:00 p.m. at Habitat for Humanity Offices (2410 S. Scenic, Springfield, MO 65807).
- Oral Health and Jordan Valley Services: Come learn about oral health and other services provided by Jordan Valley Community Health Center, from Betsy Fogle.
Tools for Life classes are free and open to the public. Registration is required to attend. Adults only please, no childcare will be provided. To register for a Tools for Life class, please contact Morgan Ash, partner services associate, at 417-829-4001 x 114.
Teach a Tools for Life Class:
All parts of Tools for Life depend on the generosity of volunteers and partnerships with other organizations dedicated to our community. If you’re interested in volunteering as a teacher, please contact Morgan Ash, partner services associate, at 417-829-4001 x 114.