Tools for Life – becoming a homeowner is a large endeavor for everyone involved. It takes a lot of hard work and determination, but we continually meet people like you who are up for the challenge. Our Tools for Life homeowner education classes will set you up for success.
Tools for Life: Homeowner Education
As a part of Habitat for Humanity’s sweat equity component, each partner family completes several required homeowner education classes in our Tools for Life program. These classes are designed to prepare families for financial responsibilities of becoming homeowners, how to best maintain their homes and acclimate into their new neighborhoods. Habitat’s overall goal is to empower families to become knowledgeable and successful homeowners.
Tools for Life: Class Topics
During these financial education classes, we’ll cover topics such as budgeting, credit cards and credit reports, debt and loans, saving, investing and planning for the future, emergency situations, as well as Habitat homeowner mortgages. Gaining a more in-depth understanding of these important concepts will become part of a tool belt you can use to build a better future.
- May 22, 2017: 6:00 p.m. at Pathways United Methodist Church,(1232 East Dale Street, Springfield, MO 65803).
- Protecting Yourself from Identity Theft: Come learn what the common forms of identity theft are and about the recent trends. Liz Trader, with Regions Bank will provide ways to protect yourself and will provide steps to follow if you suspect that you maybe a victim of identity theft.
- June 5, 2017: 6:00 p.m. at Woodland Heights Presbyterian Church,(722 West Atlantic Street, Springfield, MO 65803).
- Services Offered by The Springfield Green County Health Department: Come learn about all of the important services provided to our community by our health department.
- June 12, 2017: 6:00 p.m. at Habitat for Humanity Offices (2410 S. Scenic, Springfield, MO 65807).
- Conflict Resolution: Come learn how to approach and resolve conflict while maintaining your cool with Missouri State University’s Center For Dispute Resolution.
- June 26, 2017: 6:00 p.m. at Environmental Resource Center,(290 East Central Street, Springfield, MO 65802).
- Environmental Resources: Learn how you can reduce, reuse, and recycle from home in order to decrease unnecessary waste. Laurie Duncan from The City of Springfield’s Department of Environmental Services will be with us covering the multiple recycling programs in Springfield, including what is recyclable and what is not. Interested to know what your recyclables are converted in to? Want to know how mulching can benefit your yard and garden? Join us to find out!
Tools for Life classes are free and open to the public. Registration is required to attend. Adults only please, no childcare will be provided. To register for a Tools for Life class, please contact Morgan Ash, partner services associate, at 417-829-4001 x 114.
Teach a Tools for Life Class:
All parts of Tools for Life depend on the generosity of volunteers and partnerships with other organizations dedicated to our community. If you’re interested in volunteering as a teacher, please contact Morgan Ash, partner services associate, at 417-829-4001 x 114.