Qualify and Apply to be a Habitat Homebuyer:
How do you qualify and apply to be a Habitat partner homebuyer? Buying a home in partnership with Habitat for Humanity is a unique opportunity. We build and renovate homes with hardworking, low-income families and the community and then sell the homes at no profit with affordable mortgages to Habitat families, whom we have prepared to be successful homeowners.
We partner with Greene, Christian, and Webster County families and individuals who need quality homes and are willing to live where we are currently building and renovating homes in Greene County, Missouri. Partners are selected on the basis of need, ability to pay, and willingness to partner. Learn more about how you can qualify and apply to be a Habitat partner homebuyer.
Qualify for a Habitat for Humanity Home:
To qualify for Habitat’s homeownership program, applicants must meet the following qualifications:
- Resident of Greene, Christian or Webster Counties prepared to live where we are currently building and renovating in Greene County
- Have a need for a Habitat home:
- Are a very-low-income to low-income family or individual (see chart below)
- Currently live in substandard, overcrowded, or unsafe living conditions, or
- Are paying excessive housing and/or utility costs
- Are not eligible for a conventional bank loan
- Have the ability to pay a low-cost, no-interest house payment
- Have household income within the range shown on the Application flyer linked below.
- Are able to pay $900-$1,200 before closing for homeowner’s insurance and two months escrow.
- Has had no bankruptcy or foreclosure within the last three years; no unsatisfied civil judgements over $1,000
- Have verifiable, reliable income sufficient to cover monthly house payments and debts
- Have a reasonably “clean” credit report that shows a history of making regular payments
- Are willing to partner with Habitat for Humanity
- Will complete 250 (one-applicant) or 350 (two applicants) hours of Sweat Equity.
- Will participate in the 14-week Tools for Life education series, and post-closing Financial Fitness classes.
- Will pledge to maintain and repair your home after purchase, and make house payments on time
Apply for a Habitat for Humanity home:
To apply to be a partner home buyer, join us for a home buyer application session; they are scheduled twice per month at our office and weekly at the Springfield Affordable Housing Center. You may also request that an application be mailed. We strongly encourage you to register and attend an application session to learn more about the homeownership program and receive help in completing the application.
To register for a home buying application session, please contact Nancy Williams, Partner Services Director, at 417-829-4001 x 105.
Springfield Affordable Housing Center
Habitat for Humanity of Springfield, MO
- Saturdays at 9:00 a.m. – at Habitat for Humanity of Springfield, Missouri (2410 S. Scenic):
- July 14, 2018
- August 25, 2018
- September 22, 2018
- Mondays at 6:30 p.m. – at Habitat for Humanity of Springfield, Missouri (2410 S. Scenic):
- July 16, 2018
- August 20, 2018
- September 17, 2018