During our annual Hearts & Hammers awards celebration, presented by Atlas Security, we had the opportunity to recognize and honor the top donors, volunteers, and advocates.
The helping hands award is given to individuals or organizations that volunteer time to builds, Neighborhood Revitalization projects, administrative help, special events, committee work and more.
2016 Helping Hands Award Recipients
- Caitlan Schasteen
- Caitlan has served as the Missouri State University Habitat for Humanity campus chapter for the past two years. Under her leadership the chapter received a $5,000 grant from State Farm & have completed numerous volunteer days at the ReStore and on the build site.
- KOLR 10 News and Ozarks Live!
- For the Nexstar Founders’ Day of Caring, staff from KOLR 10 and Ozarks Live!, volunteered to paint a home for a homeowner in need. Their reporters always allow us to promote upcoming events on air and are dedicated to promoting our mission in their journalism.
- Sonya Wise
- Not only did Sonya take the lead on entering data into our auction software for Tool Belts and Bow Ties, our biggest Habitat event, she also secured a majority of the items we had displayed. Under Sonya’s direction, 20% of our record breaking fundraising goal came from Sonya’s leadership and we thank her for her time and hard work.
- Lois Villamonte
- Lois has pitched in to help with various projects; from tasks as mundane as stuffing envelopes to keep up with the demand for home buyer and home repair program applications, to helping with a back log of data entry for the home repair program. Thanks to volunteers like her, we are able to make a difference in the Springfield community.
- Ken Werner
- Ken volunteered almost daily working side by side with our construction team to complete two home builds. It was a great benefit to the construction team knowing that Ken would be out there as an extra set of. Habitat is very grateful for all that Ken has done for our mission.
- Jesus Padron
- Jesus called us earlier this year to ask about hanging and finishing drywall in a house undergoing rough inspections. When asked for an estimate for how much this job would cost, he was more than please to announce he was not looking to give an estimate but to donate the entire job.
- Cleaster Applewhite
- Cle came to us through Experience Works. He averages 35 hours per week year-round in the ReStore. He is a great help in the South Warehouse and ensures the South Warehouse is well maintained. We are blessed to have Cleaster volunteering with us on a weekly basis.
- Michael Allen
- Michael has been an immense help to the Habitat Construction team this past year. Michael spent over 2 months volunteering on a daily basis with the construction team on a couple of new builds that we were working on. Michael’s selflessness help ensures that the homes would be completed on time.
- Isiah Fair
- All day the ReStore receives heavy donations and the trucks do not unload themselves. That is where volunteers like Isaiah step up and are invaluable to the daily operations. Isaiah has volunteered with us quite a while, but over the past year he stepped into a more solid role and a dependable asset on the floor and in the receiving area.
- Colleen Prosser
- Colleen has helped with Habitat homes for years, providing more than 150 hours of volunteer support completing multiple painting projects. She is always ready for the next opportunity to come out and help again, and we are grateful for her contributions.
Hearts & Hammers was celebrated on November 1, 2016 at the University Plaza. The 2016 Helping Hands Awards were generously sponsored by Hogan Land Title.