Cost of Home:
At Habitat for Humanity, we know that a family should never have to spend more than 30 percent of their income on a home. But consider that today over 19 million U.S. households pay half or more of their income on a place to live. That is unacceptable.
In the United States, 1 in 6 families are denied the personal and economic stability that safe, decent and affordable housing provides. Instead, 1 in 6 families are forced to make impossible choices.
Safe homes. Nutritious food on the table. Health care. Access to good schools. Reliable transportation. Which would you choose?
Habitat knows the complexities that surround the cost of home. We also know the struggle, stress and pain of far too many families in our communities. And we know that those with the fewest resources are forced to make the hardest choices. We have to take a stand and declare our commitment: No family should have to pay more than half of their paycheck to cover the cost of home.
Everyone deserves to build the foundation for a strong, healthy future for themselves and their families — no matter where they live or how much money they earn. Every family deserves the chance to thrive.
Help us make that possible. Help us make the #CostOfHome something we all can afford.
Habitat Springfield has joined the national advocacy campaign, Cost of Home, to find solutions and help create policies that will allow 10 million individuals to meet their most basic needs. We will raise our voices to influence policy and system changes at the federal, state, and local levels to declare that every family should be able to afford the cost of home.
- In Missouri, one out of 10 households spends more than 50% of their income on housing.
Springfield, Missouri Statistics:
- In Springfield, more than 10,000 renter households are considered “extremely low income” making less than, or equal to 30% of the area median income (AMI).
- In Springfield, there is a deficit of more than 8,000 affordable housing units available for extremely low income individuals.
- KSPR: Habitat for Humanity joins effort to improve affordability – 6.25.19
- KY3: Habitat for Humanity joins study to help more people find affordable homes – 6.25.19
- KSGF: Habitat for Humanity campaign aims to find affordable homes – 6.25.19
- KTTS: Habitat for Humanity Campaign aims to find affordable homes – 6.25.19
- KOLR 10: Habitat for Humanity launches campaign to provide affordable housing – 6.14.19
Habitat for Humanity International:
Learn more about Habitat for Humanity’s national advocacy campaign, Cost of Home, at habitat.org/costofhome.