Apply and Qualify to be a Habitat Home Buyer:
How do you apply and qualify to be a Habitat partner home buyer? Buying a home and partnering with Habitat for Humanity is a unique opportunity. We build and renovate homes with hardworking, low-income families and the community. We then sell the homes at no profit with affordable mortgages to Habitat families, whom we have prepared to be successful homeowners.
Habitat for Humanity of Springfield, MO partners with Greene, Christian, and Webster County families and individuals who need quality homes. These partners must be willing to live where we are currently building and renovating homes in Greene County, Missouri. Habitat selects partners on the basis of need, ability to pay, and willingness to partner. Learn more about how you can apply and qualify to be a Habitat partner home buyer.
Qualify for a Habitat for Humanity Home:
To qualify for Habitat’s home ownership program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a resident of Greene, Christian or Webster Counties. Be prepared to live in Greene County where we are currently building and renovating homes for the home buying program.
- Have a need for a Habitat home:
- Are a very-low-income to low-income family or individual. Please see our chart on the downloadable program information below.
- Currently live in substandard, overcrowded, or unsafe living conditions, or
- Are paying excessive housing and/or utility costs
- Are not eligible for a conventional bank loan.
- Have the ability to pay a low-cost, no-interest house payment
- Have a household income within the range shown on the flyer linked below.
- Are able to pay $900-$1,200 before closing for homeowner’s insurance and two months escrow.
- Has had no bankruptcy or foreclosure within the last three years; no unsatisfied civil judgments over $1,000
- Have verifiable, reliable income sufficient to cover monthly house payments and debts
- Have a reasonably “clean” credit report that shows a history of making regular payments
- Are willing to partner with Habitat for Humanity by
- Completing 250 (one-applicant) or 350 (two applicants) hours of Sweat Equity.
- Participate in the 14-week Tools for Life education series, and post-closing Financial Fitness classes.
- Pledging to maintain and repair your home after purchase, and make house payments on time
Apply for a Habitat for Humanity home:
Once you are ready to apply to be a partner home buyer, please request that information and an application be mailed to you. After completing the application, you can mail it back to us or drop it off, but the best way to return it is to register for a home buyer application session. The sessions happen twice per month at our office and weekly at the Springfield Affordable Housing Center. We strongly encourage you to register and attend an application session to learn more about the home ownership program and receive help in completing the application.
To request information and an application to be mailed to you, or to register for an application session, please contact Nancy Williams, Partner Services Director, at 417-829-4001 x 105.
Springfield Affordable Housing Center
Applications are taken at the Springfield Affordable Housing Center (300 E. Central St.) at 2:00 p.m. every Wednesday, unless they are closed or we have canceled, so make sure you register ahead of time.
Habitat for Humanity of Springfield, MO
- Saturdays at 9:00 a.m. – at Habitat for Humanity of Springfield, Missouri (2410 S. Scenic):
- November 16, 2019
- December 21, 2019
- January 11, 2020
- February 8, 2020
- March 7, 2020
- Mondays at 6:30 p.m. – at Habitat for Humanity of Springfield, Missouri (2410 S. Scenic):
- November 18, 2019
- December 16, 2019
- January 20, 2020
- February 17, 2020
- March 16, 2020